When I was a child, I thought that I could see the other side of the world across the ocean.

I never believed myself to be superhuman in this endeavor; on the contrary, I believed that it was something everything but my (at that naïve age) old mother with her ‘failing eyesight’ could see. It was only just sitting on the horizon; a whole new experience just waiting to be reached. Sitting on the beach by my grandparents' house in New Hampshire, the world seemed so small—if I hopped on a boat I could be in another continent by noon, and there were no doubts in my mind that I would someday make that trek...

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

2/7/2007- All the Colors of the World (Bioluminescent Bay, Puerto Rico)



Last night I went to Bioluminescent Bay, one of the four in the world. We kayaked into a tiny mangrove that streched on for an hour’s ride while watching the nightlife as darkness fell around us. As darkness penetrated our line of sight, we started to notice that the water was emitting a strange light when we touched it with our oars. Before long we started to notice not just colors but shapes that were glowing bright neon colors while swimming about. Eventually, we hit an open lagoon seemingly in the middle of no where. When the paddles touched the water, it was as if the world below had been lit on fire.

On a moment’s notice, without words or collaboration, we all just decided to go follow the emotion in our hearts. Fully clothed and cold, each of us dove out of our kayaks and into the glowing water. There we were in a lagoon close to pitch black, with more stars than I have ever seen dancing above us, and wherever you touched or whichever way you moved began to glow bright blue and green. You couldn’t see people, or shapes- just the color and sparkling outline of their forms breaking through the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment