When I was a child, I thought that I could see the other side of the world across the ocean.

I never believed myself to be superhuman in this endeavor; on the contrary, I believed that it was something everything but my (at that naïve age) old mother with her ‘failing eyesight’ could see. It was only just sitting on the horizon; a whole new experience just waiting to be reached. Sitting on the beach by my grandparents' house in New Hampshire, the world seemed so small—if I hopped on a boat I could be in another continent by noon, and there were no doubts in my mind that I would someday make that trek...

Sunday, May 27, 2012

5/27/2012- Second Impressions (Nuuk, Greenland)


I’d heard the two former interns from Visit Greenland, SungHa and Natasha, say countless times how beautiful Greenland is and how much of an effect it has on you being there. I believed them to an extent—believed that it was in fact beautiful, but that it would compare to other destinations I had been to previously, such as Alaska.

It took me two minutes, a thousand feet above the ice pack and mountains outside Kulusuk, to understand what they were talking about.

Silently and in awe I watched out the tiny window as we passed over the receding ice pack, putting all stories, pictures, and BBC specials I’d seen about it to shame. It went on for miles upon miles, with icebergs and sheets flowing out and away from the mountains inland. It looked something like a puzzle of white ice among a dark blue background, with the pieces of differing sizes and shapes. The mountains in the background framed the picture, jutting out from the coast and covered in snow, like something out of an apocalyptic end-of-the-world image. As we maneuvered around and through the mountains to land in Kulusuk, I thought to myself calmly that if I died, if the worst case scenario happened and our tiny plane hit a bad wind and crashed into the side of one of the majestic mountains, I would be okay with it because I had seen something so otherworldly. The tight grasp I had had on the seatback in front of me out of fear was loosened and my entire body relaxed.

After landing we exited the plane so they could refuel, and laughed at four foreign men who fell to their knees and prayed that we had landed safely (which made me feel better than I was not the only one bothered by the turbulence and the impact it had on our tiny plane). The six or so of us continuing on to Nuuk waited in the airport, which consisted of two rooms separated by a small shop. I spoke with one of the Danish visitors, who has been working in Greenland for years and has been asked to run tourism in one of the settlements, Paamiut. He told me a few stories about his settlement and we relaxed until the plane was ready to take off once more.

Upon boarding the plane again, we were surprised to note that it was now full with East Greenlanders, mostly natives who were boisterous and had moved our things about the plane to sit together. I ended up in back next to an older Inuit woman, who didn’t speak a single word of English yet took great glee in pointing at things out the window and sharing the Greenlandic names with me. When I pulled out a map to continue memorizing the names of all settlements, she got even more excited and grabbed my arm, pointing to herself and then pointing at a city wildly, giving me a toothy grin as her family sitting around us all laughed. After a few minutes of me looking around her she gave me her seat so I could watch out the window, though due to wind issues, after a short time we ascended above the cloud cover. For the entire two hour flight I watched out, excited to see through breaks in the clouds and catch glimpses of the endless snow and mountains below.

When we descended below the cloud cover, winds overtook the plane and we started to be thrown about. Despite the beautiful scenery outside I grasped the armrests and the woman beside me rubbed my back, trying to comfort me. I was amused at the scene—a native Greenlander wearing traditional jewelry and clothing, who did not look as though she traveled much from home, and she was comforting someone who had flown over ten thousand miles the previous year on varying flights.

There was no customs and baggage claim consisted of a single looped conveyor belt which whipped bags out at a speed I thought impossible, flinging a bag out at one point and into the waiting crowd of children and adults crowded into the tiny room. Anne Mette then took me from the one roomed airport and to my home for the next four months—a beautiful light wood apartment with white walls to capture as much light as possible during the endless night winter months (as the sun does not rise for about three months in Nuuk). What enticed me most were the views—mountains reaching into the clouds surround the ‘city’ (and I put that word lightly, as Nuuk is one of the smallest capitals of the world by population at just around 15,000), capped in snow, while each building is painted brightly in colors spanning beyond the rainbow. My room looks out directly to the mountains with houses decked in colors at the base, with snow banks melting into rivers below. Although it is not yet summer, the snow is melting and the sun is out for twenty or so hours a day, giving precious little time to sleep in darkness before the sun comes up over the horizon once again at around 0200.  

Time to enjoy for that 'precious little'. Night!


No comments:

Post a Comment